View Single Post
Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
jaynie04

In the Newcomers forum I think most of us are learning to live our lives without alcohol in a world that is full of people who can drink without altering the course of their life. I come here because it is a place I can connect with others who are also relearning how to make the changes work. I know how to do the drinking/comparison thing….I got that down good. Now I am trying to figure out how to do the sobriety thing.

So I would posit that most of us do think about drinking, often, but I am here for the solution and support.

I am still a newbie, but that voluminous space that alcohol occupied in my mind is shrinking. As I go on I realize that while alcohol is a tangible material liquid in a glass, it was so much bigger than that substance itself. Picking up a glass and holding it to my mouth was the result of a host of other things that brought me to that gesture. The gesture of drinking and swallowing was basically a physical response like my knee jerking out when the doctor hits it with a hammer. I am finding that getting rid of the hammer means my knee doesn't have a reason to kick.