View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zoelu

When your AM asks you to buy her beer

Today is the sixth day of the past ten in which my mother has emailed or texted me at work to ask me to buy beer for her. (I should note she's emailing my personal account in hopes I'll see the notification on my phone; she doesn't have my work email.) My general method of dealing with it has been to ignore the messages and then when I get home (she lives in our basement), she asks if I bought her beer and I simply say "No". I told her a few months ago that I would not buy her alcohol and it turned into an argument about how she doesn't have a problem and what a rotten daughter I am- and I would really like to avoid having that "conversation" again if I can. This is the first time she's asked since then and I'm sure it's because she just lost another job and has no cash flow. She's even gone so far in her text messages as to offer to trade beer in exchange for groceries- because she can buy those with her food assistance. I am at a loss for words. Has anyone else dealt with anything like this and/or have any words of wisdom?