Thread: Sponsor danger
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Brian316

Good thread here! I like hearing everyone's experiences with their sponsors. I've been in and out of AA for 13 years and just got my first sponsor a couple months ago. He has kids my age (I'm 35). For a long time I was afraid to get a sponsor. Fear of reaching out, opening up and truly letting go of drinking. Plus I had preconceived notions not dissimilar from some of the bad experiences people posted here. But, I first met this guy about 2 years ago and he talked to me about stuff only another alcoholic would know about. And not in a condescending or stalker-esque way. I fell away from his meeting and went back out a bunch more times. Did worse things, suffered more misery and shame. Finally when I reached the point of desperation I tracked him down and asked him to sponsor me. It's been good so far. We talk almost every day. He's helped me better my spiritual connection and deal with tough life stuff through experience and hope. My only concern was where I was in the steps because I didn't know if we were working any. LOL yeah I'm an alcoholic, I didn't mind being blind drunk nightly but if I'm trusting someone else I need them to remind me where I am. Anyway he told me a couple of days ago I'm already working the first 3 steps. So that was good to hear. My experience has been a blessing so far.