View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
EagerforChange

Odelle and ronjohn - Thanks for responses.

Admittedly the "purpose" journey took me a while. I started with some high-level values I wanted for myself. Things like Integrity, Faith, Love, Compassion, Excellence and Discipline.

Then I broke that into lifelong goals I wanted to achieve in the following areas: Health, Family/Friends, Faith, Personal Development, Business/Career, Professional Relationships, and Finances.

What I found that both my values and lifelong goals were mutually reinforcing with each other, and none of that mutual reinforcement was supported by continuing to drink.

Everything is a work in progress, but start with something you are most passionate about it, and just take action. The rest will fall into place over time.

I'm sure if you ask me in a year my purpose will change significantly, but it helped me to think of having a bigger purpose than just going through the motions and "getting through the day" everyday for the rest of my life. It's working for now, that's all I can really hope for. Everyone is unique and special, find what works for you and go with it.