Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

I can relate even though I'm not extremely introverted. I'm ten days sober, and I've pretty much avoided social situations so far, except for New Years Eve with a few people who I know well and who have known me both drunk and sober. Haven't really formulated a plan for dealing with the public, especially those casual friends who mostly know me as a musician and lover of IPA.

122213, a couple of thoughts about your post: I, too, get in the rut of thinking I'm a "defective" person, but I've been trying to reverse that attitude. When I catch myself thinking that, I remind myself that I am sober and I've survived a number of serious ordeals. Despite being introduced to alcohol in the womb and being born with minor deformities, I can read and write - I'm not a complete idiot. Despite falling into the same trap as my mother, I deserve some credit for finally working on myself and getting a grip on life. I'm trying to be kind to yourself and give myself some credit. We've all fallen, but the important part is that we're getting up.

About meeting people: I have not had good luck with Al Anon, AA, or NA meetings. I'm not dissing those who benefit from that route, but I just personally have met some very volatile and untrustworthy individuals at meetings who have just been bummers for me. I'm sure it all depends on the group you happen to find. I've had better luck going to the gym, to yoga classes, or getting involved in volunteer activities. Because I play music, and most my gigs are in bars, I'm working on getting a local gallery or coffee house to sponsor a monthly music showcase. My wife joined a knitting group when she got sober, and got involved in the local arts council and art classes. I took a ceramics class, and it was perfect because I could gab with folks or just get into my own head and own work. It depends on your interests...