View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 11:17 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Taking5

Originally Posted by jokerman73 View Post
Great point, but how do I do this and do it safely? And the "talk to a Dr." or go to "AA" thing is a cop out.

Yes I will talk to my Doc., but what do I tell him?

What meds or tips or tricks can I use to help with the shakes, sweats, anxiety etc.
Tell the Dr the truth. You want to stop drinking and need medical help to do so. Tell him EVERYTHING you drank and how much/often. If you used other substances - legal or otherwise - tell him that too. Complete honesty. If you used illegal drugs, don't worry, the Dr cannot turn you in to the police, just tell him.

The Dr will check your vitals, draw blood, and based on that give you prescriptions so you can detox safely. As mentioned multiple times this will almost certainly include a benzo, which doubles as an anti-seizure and anti-anxiety med. In my case they added high BP meds as my BP was ridiculously high, which could lead to stroke. If your vitals are serious enough. the Dr will make arrangements for a hospital detox. Your chances of serious life threatening issues will be next to zero in a supervised detox, and it'll be way more comfortable.

And after you detox, give AA a try.

NOTHING about this is cop out. Most all of us have been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Please treat the advice in this thread literally.

Please keep us posted on what you do.