View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
HopefulinFLA

Hi Liz,

I think you're very wise to listen to the little voice telling you to proceed with caution. I know from past experience my RAH has been at times absolutely sincere about wanting sobriety, but it didn't always last long. It's only been a month, I'd give it sometime before you let your guard down.

My RAH has been sober now for almost 4 months and I'm seeing things in him that are very different from previous attempts to get sober. He's focusing on new healthier activities like golfing and working out. He actually talks with me about how he feels about his past drinking vs current sobriety. He pays more attention to my sensitivities, like calling me to let me know he's playing golf and turning his phone off. He's making a consistent effort to repay financial obligations incurred because of drinking. Most notably, in the past he didn't want friends and family to know he was quitting, I assume because he knew he wasn't fully committed. Now he's telling everyone, with out an ounce of shame! That's what has convinced me he's really serious this time.

Time will tell if it will last. I try to stay hopeful and positive but I'm still very cautious, as I know relapse will always be a possibility. Although I remain aware of this, I try not to let it cloud the good that is today. Tomorrow is unknown, and today is all we really have anyway.

Everyone's recovery is different and you know him best. What differences in him do you see? What does your gut tell you?

I agree with the others who are suggesting you focus on yourself. An emotionally healthy you will be best equipped to deal with whatever the future holds.

All the best to you both!