Thread: day zero
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Louise82
Faith and reason

I know the feeling, animalnurse. I'm painfully shy. Even now I can barely go up to someone and introduce myself. I wait for people to initiate the contact with me. But I'm a lot better at making friends than I was, so it will come with time, and recovery.

I also used to leave straight after the meeting because I didn't want to be standing in the middle of the room by myself, with no one talking to me. What I eventually found helped me was staying behind after the meeting to help stack the chairs, or wash up the cups or help out in some other way. That got people talking to me without me having to just directly walk up to someone and introduce myself.

Also try really hard to share during meetings sometimes, as people will come up to you afterwards to comment on your share and give you encouragement and support based on what you've said.

Also, you're not too far gone. You're on here posting, which it great. Yes, following my last relapse I found posting on SR and reaching out for help here really helped me start putting together sober time. So definitely do post here the next time you feel like drinking. I know what you mean about drinking even though you really don't want to. I'm sure lots of other people here can relate too so just reaching out for help on SR next time you feel like that is a really good idea.