View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
younghem

I'm not addicted to booze, that is, I don't have a physical dependency and I don't need to drink everyday. I'm also able to drink in moderation.

The concerns are these: I have found myself using alcohol more frequently to self-medicate social anxiety, general anxiety and issues in my now ex-relationship. I have been drinking more alone, as way to relax and decompress at the end of a stressful day.

The most concerning aspect of my drinking is the blackouts. There have been a handful of times over the last couple of years where this happened. Generally, it occurs under certain circumstances, i.e: I have drunk before I go out (to deal with nervous energy) not eaten enough that day, and usually been dealing with extremely stressful/tense situations (namely, an unhappy relationship). I seem to *forget* that I have this issue and get intoxicated to a disgusting level. This has resulted in me becoming sloppy, tearful and at times extremely distressed and full of rage. It's as if my brain switches off and I am operating from this fearful at the same time angry primal place.

I just highlighted some of the things you mentioned that really stood out to me. The blackouts are particularly troubling, imo. When I was in my twenties (I'm 36 now) I could drink and drink and would feel fine the next day. Definitely NOT the case any more. Eventually your body will not be able to take the punishment of the alcohol that you are inflicting on it. For myself it was age 33. Then the horrible hangovers started and migraine headaches and panic attacks. I think the sooner you are able to quit or cut back the better.

I have been using a website called drinkaware.co.uk. You can keep track of how much you drink every week and every day...it might work for you as well.

Anyway, welcome to the site ! I am also a newbie here and looking for answers/help.