View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  
SoberMarathon

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
Tonight when my husband and I were dining out, we had to take a booth by the bar because all other tables were taken. Near to us, at the bar was a very attractive young couple. The man was in scrubs and the way he carried himself, I am assuming he was a doctor. They started out each drinking two large sized beers (2 each) and they split a flatbread (which was less than 500 calories - this restaurant claims all of their entrees/tapas are under 500 calories). The doctor then ordered a martini. I noticed that they started out with good conversation, but when we were leaving he looked zoned out and she was messing with her phone. The mothery part of me wanted to warn them to take it easy and be more reflective about what they were doing now and what they wanted in the future, but of course, I didn't. I hope it doesn't seem too creepy that I noticed all of this. I have to admit I have become quite the observer these days in restaurants - just curious about people's drinking habits now that I have become so conscious of my own. Along these lines, I rented the old, old movie, Days of Wine and Roses on my kindle last night. Wow, what a scary eye opener of a movie!! I couldn't help but think of that movie watching the two beautiful young people at the bar tonight. (the movie's main characters are an alcoholic couple that start out beautiful, successful, in love with a precious baby, but as you can imagine it all unravels quickly when their alcoholism takes over)
Sometimes I look at other people drinking socially or excessively socially with resentment or condescending eyes. It seems so hypocritical given that 6 months ago I was ALWAYS the big drinker when out for dinner or out for 'drinks' with friends or co-workers. It's really a mixed bag of feelings that I haven't quite sorted out yet - part of me is envious, part of me feels like the bigger person, I really can't make up my mind!

On a side note, I've recently come to the realization that I have effectively no social life anymore, since I walked away from booze. I am a busy guy with work, kids, etc but I used to try and get out for a few beers and a burger with some friends at least once every 6 weeks or so. Now what am I supposed to do? I feel like I'm totally antisocial now - partly because I don't want to put myself in higher risk situations, unnecessarily. I'm trying to lose myself in marathon training at the moment - maybe I just need to find a training partner, preferably a female 5-10yrs younger than me with the body of an Olympian! Sorry for the last part but my wife is mad at me at the moment and slept on the couch last night. Apparently, I don't value her job enough or something...I know, getting off topic now, sorry:-)