View Single Post
Old 01-01-2014, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
InvisibleFrank

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Congratulations! Sounds like that works for you.

Then don't go back to the "old familiar". Sure, you have to go back to your house/APT, but you don't have to go back to the rest of your familiar stuff.

You asked for advice. This is just my opinion:

- Try and stay away from the social scene. Keep things quiet. Don't try to go out with old friends to a bar and drink lemonade or sprite or any of that nonsense.

- Keep away from events where alcohol is present. Yes, that includes everything. Yes, I know.

- Stay out of the "old routine". Your brain will immediately want to get comfortable again in it's old safe place. Problem is, that was not a safe place! It's hard when your own brain is trying to trick you, but stay vigilant. This could be as simple as taking a walk around the block in a different direction.

- Have some patience and keep your expectations realistic. You can do this, but it's not going to be all rainbows and buttercups. You'll feel lonely and lost, and probably depressed.

- Live day by day. Don't make grand plans. Keep it simple. There is nothing wrong with that. Do new things. Small ones.

None of these things will last forever! You'll be fine in a while, but I think the single biggest risk we take when "released into the wild" is that we expect too much, and try to do too much, too soon. You are learning to live as a sober adult. If you were learning to swim, would you try to swim across the ocean on your 2nd day? No. Take it easy on yourself.

Good luck and congrats.
Problem is that I work in the music business and it's impossible to stay away from those people or places, unless I give up on my dream, the dream which I have worked so hard for. I can do it though. This place helps.