Old 12-31-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pipefish

Definitely identify with you. In your post, you say that "even when I have so much, it really just doesn't make logical sense." Really identify with that. I had lots of the things that conventionally signal 'success' but was still very unhappy; lonely, isolated, stuck in behaviours often referred to as old, excepting that they were not old, because I was still doing them, and feeling increasingly frustrated & uncomfortable. At its worst, this appeared much like depression, but without wishing to sound dramatic, it was because it was like being spiritually dead again, at the very least, shut-down and stuck. Everything was desert!

What comes to mind is the phrase inside job, and I've really needed to make an effort to reconnect with the program, and people in the fellowship I trust, and whose sobriety I respect. Am particularly focusing on step 6 at the moment, and really making sure I do focus rather than skipping ahead, which is a tendency! So, the question may be, do you have enough of what you actually need? It's not always easy to work that one out, but quiet time has helped me so far, and in addition to the above, I am going to start seeing a therapist next week, because of the recognition of 'old' or not so old(!) stuff coming to bite me on the behind! I am doing these things because I want to stay sober, much more than I want to drink.

This period in my recovery isn't over yet, but if I contrast how I was feeling six weeks ago, there is now reprieve, less bleakness, and phew(!) just a tiny bit less intensity ;-) Be kind to yourself, take that pause for quiet reflection, and talk to people you trust.

Wish you well