Thread: Step 9
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

The 9th step is the only one of the 12 I think we need to exercise caution with. Hmm... perhaps we should be cautious of who we share our 5th step with also, but anyhow...

If you're questioning whether or not you should make ammends, I say it's best to not do it just yet, as you're not sure. I agree with your sponsor to jump back into step 3.

I think it's important also to check our motives. Do we want to make ammends to make right for the wrongs, or simply to clear our conscience? The latter is doing it for selfish reasons. When I was early in sobriety I jumped the gun and made ammends to my ex girlfriend. All I would up doing was hurting her, and giving myself a little extra guilt to deal with. I thought I was doing the right thing.

If you want to make ammends for drinking and lying the best possible ammends you can make is to not drink, and not lie. Ammends doesn't mean saying we're sorry, it means doing the best we can to right a wrong. I'd hold off on this one and follow the guidance you've been given. If you're truly working a 3rd step, then it seems the path you're being directed to is to keep it to yourself for the time being. The future may very well dictate something different.