View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zerothehero
waking down

probably should have been in a hospital

I'm at home and four days into detox. I found this site because I'm looking for someone to talk to - or at least get some things off my chest. On Christmas Eve I got into a bottle of really nice scotch at a neighbor's party. I woke up about four hours after passing out with scary rapid heart rate. I almost alerted my wife to take me to the hospital, but instead, I took a couple of aspirin, chugged a pint of water, and fell back to sleep. Christmas Day (or evening) I drank moderately - a few glasses of wine, and then on the 26th I felt like **** so I had one cocktail, but I was thinking maybe that was the last.

A friend of mine died a few years ago, and he had been in detox after having seizures trying to dry out, so I was aware there were risks. I wasn't sure if my consumption warranted hospitalization, but in retrospect, and given my experience the last few days, I probably should have been monitored. After he passed I tried to dry out a couple of times, but never seriously. About two years ago I thought my 50th birthday would mark my last night with booze, but we had a party and almost all my gifts were wine or liquor. So, I thought I would drink that stash and be done with it. I sucked it all and never stopped. I noticed that since Thanksgiving this year I was really slipping - drinking at least moderately every day, and binging on weekends. I felt like crap, and even started feeling some tingling in my lips and limbs - hopefully it was the alcohol - it has stopped.

So, I did some reading online, took aspirin, thiamine, folic acid, and valerian root. The first couple of days without alcohol were not good. I was having panic attacks, reading about symptoms of withdrawal syndrome and not sure if I was really having them or just imagining it, and trying to sedate myself naturally with valerian but still unable to sleep.