Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lilianderson

My little brother has finally admitted his addiction. Now what?

I always thought if something like this happened, there'd be more resources readily available, but actually, me and my family are struggling, and I could use help from people like you who have been through this all before.

We'd been suspicious that my brother has been abusing drugs for some time, but I think we were all a little afraid to confront him/ none of us really wanted to admit it. He is 24 and holds down a steady, high-pressure job and takes Klonopin (prescribed/legal) for his anxiety.

Christmas day he kept passing out at the table and woke up only to giggle or say things that made no sense int he context of the conversation. Later in the evening, when he'd passed out again, I finally stormed into his room and went through his backpack. I found basically a staggering amount of used baggies marked with "main event", along with Oxy pills. Then, in this Klonopin bottle, instead of finding the Klono, he had used them all so purchased Valium illegally thru CL.

When we confronted him, he finally told us yes, hes been doing heroin for about a year now, and hes been abusing he klonopin. He's already prescribed (bc of some ******* idiot DR) 3 mg a day, which means hes been taking even more then that, which is nuts.

Right now he's had NOTHING for 2 days and he's been kinda sick but not awful. We're seeing a doc today to get him into an outpatient program. He seems pretty resigned to what is happening, he says he wants to get clean, and during the few moments he's been very aware in the last 2 days, he does hug us and tell us he loves us. It's me, my mom, my dad, and my older brother, who's 27. Also my fiancee and my brother's wife.

So. ANY advice, thoughts, anything would be appreciated. I just feel kinda lost and overwhelmed. Thank you, thank you, thank you, and merry Christmas.