View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Newtoanon

I know you're right. I've even grid to tell myself this. The lifestyle isn't an issue for me. I rarely drink myself. However, I do know its a life long battle - regardless of how long the person remains sober.

I've tried to tell myself this is for the best. My desires are probably founded in selfish needs and desires. But I do care for this person and their success (in recovery and their life ambitions) so I've been having some difficulty in just walking away. Strangely, my short lived relationship with the, was probably the most open, honest and respectful one in a long while. Or perhaps I'm focused on the fantasy of what I believed it to be.

But as you said, relationships are hard enough without the added difficulties of an addiction. I guess I just feel/felt like they genuinely deserved a chance. Ok. Still feel. Maybe the only thing to do is walk away and stop hoping for a chance with us as just leave it at the hope they'll be successful and happy. I really feel they will be, with or without me in their life. Perhaps not realistic but I do sense it.

Again. Thank you for your response.