Old 12-24-2013, 08:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by Serotonin View Post
I'm on my second day of recovery. I'm trying to figure out how to replace my drinking time with something else. I have a variety of interests, but the addict in me makes this difficult. For instance, when I decide to start eating well I do it to the extreme and eat super healthy or super bad. When I decide to exercise I push myself too hard and eventually stop. Just like my drinking and past drug use (mostly cocaine and marijuana) I go all out or nothing at all. How do I go about normal daily activities without behaving like an addict? I think recognizing this is a good first step, but I have little clue how to do anything about it.
I was the same way. Still am sometimes. This is the problem...it's the mindset and the booze, weed and blow are the symptoms of the problem. For me I see it as a physical, metal and spiritual problem that takes a serious recovery program and willingness to change to execute.

Congrats on your second day of sobriety but recovery is executing on an actual recovery program.

If your like me there is deep trauma and insecurity that Leeds to excess to quiet everything else bc the mass release of dopamine is the only way to feel good for the moment. I hit four months Friday and it feels like an eternal roller coaster ride but worth very minute.

Books helped me such as Big Book, In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts, The Power of Now, Happiness Hypothesis, Awareness, Turning your mind into an Ally, living Sober, The Little Book - Rational Recovery. I also use AA but have adopted parts of RR and see a therapist weekly and of course SR.

Good luck.