View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
jdooner

Originally Posted by anyistoomuch View Post
I agree with this. I see know that this is the first time I have come up against a real desire to drink, because for the past 50 days I've been dealing with the things that happen when you stop drinking abruptly (anxiety, sleeplessness, depression...those sorts of things) and I had no desire to drink.

What this did do was give me greater insight into one of the reasons I started drinking so much to begin with. I have some work to do here...
For me drinking and drugs were the symptoms of a greater illness. Problem was I could not get better until I was sober. For me this was a mental, spiritual, and physical sickness. Sobriety took care of the physical but still left the mental and spiritual.

While I know its debated back and forth, for me AA and the 12 steps have proven to be my recovery with some therapy too. I have also read Rational Recovery and believe there is much merit to this program - I just did not choose this path at this moment in my recovery though.

I have found the recovery is much more difficult but with an open mind and sleeves rolled up I find the dividends are much greater. I can honestly say everything and I mean everything in my life is better now and I still have much work to do.

Good luck, keep posting and asking questions and BTW - congratulations on the 52 days!