View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 08:23 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
NWGRITS
Bunnies!

No disrespect for your mom, as I'm sure she's a lovely person, but my guess is she has no experience with addiction. Conventional wisdom out in the normal world does not apply at ALL with addicts. A common guilt trip we hear from the Normie world is "You wouldn't leave him/her if they had cancer, would you?" Yeah, that makes you sound like a world-class bitch. But when coupled with OUR response: "I would if s/he kept going back to the store to buy more cancer" puts it back into perspective. They aren't even in the same universe in terms of dealing with it within relationships. Not even close. I think your outlook on it right now is good. It doesn't have to be over forever. Who knows, he may well find sobriety, a program, and a good therapist. And if he does and is WORKING said program and therapy, then he should recognize what he's done to you and genuinely make amends. There's no timeline for that, though a minimum of one year is usually the suggested marker for trying to "get back to normal."