View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
lizatola

Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I have a lot of nice stuff in my house thanks to craigslist, auctions, and thrift stores. When I go, I never find what I'm looking for, but I always find something cool or something that can be fixed up that fits my budget. It's not glamorous, but it's ME and mine.

I used to feel a lot of resentment with my financial struggles because the rest of my family does not struggle and my parents made some shady financial choices around my life that my sisters didn't have to deal with. But I'm learning to accept and enjoy these challenges because they create character in me and in my home.

Sometimes the struggle is also rewarding. You sound like things have been pretty cushy financially for a long while and choosing a new life means accepting some struggle. I hope you find some joy in the hustle.
Yes, things have been cushy for a few years but that doesn't mean I'm not frugal. I am sleeping on a futon when I could easily afford a bed and bed frame for myself. I'm just too cheap to afford it. I don't have nice dish ware, I use plastic plates(melamine stuff) from Target, etc.

When shopping for my son's desk, I went to Staples and they just happened to be selling the floor model of a small cherry desk. I paid $50 for a full desk and short hutch with 2 drawers!

One thing my AH always thanked me for was my ability to tighten my budget belt when necessary. I can now afford to shop at nice places but I still have a policy with myself that I won't spend more than $25 on a pair of jeans(I am shocked when I see $100 or $200 for a pair of JEANS, seriously??!!), I won't spend more than $15 for a top or sweater, and I won't spend more than $50 for a pair of shoes unless they have a specific purpose and that happens to be a good price (i.e. high quality hiking shoes with Vibram soles. I spent $100 on a pair, but that was 10 years ago and I still wear them all the time when I hike so the investment was worth it).

As for AH and I. I talked to my sponsor yesterday and one thing she reminded me was to keep praying about staying in my HP's will. She said if you are running into roadblocks about renting, then maybe your HP is telling you it's not time. If doors start opening up and things start falling into place, then maybe the time is right because HP has allowed things to fall into place at those times? I truly wasn't praying, I was in prepare mode and 'just get out while you've committed to it mode'.

So, I am looking at 2 rentals this weekend. I have packed up my dresser and cleaned out the medicine cabinets and organized them. I have sorted out some clothing and taken donations to Goodwill. I am collecting boxes, organized my son's desk to make it easier to move later, etc. Little steps every day is how I see it.