View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 04:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by cocopuff3315 View Post
When did you finally realize that you are an alcoholic?
It was after multiple times of swearing off drinking because something bad would happen because of my drinking then I would stop drinking for a while but after a bit my mind would always say that since I had stopped drinking for "x" amount of time then I could not be an alcoholic so I must just need to moderate my drinking better and I would be off to the races again with my drinking. I swam around in that toilet for too many years until finally one day during a dry period I realized that I did not really know how to do anything without wanting to drink even something as simple as mow the lawn because what I really wanted when I mowed the lawn was a cooler full of iced down beer waiting on me to get done. I realized how much my life had come to revolve around alcohol from the "friends" I had to my job. When I wasn't drinking my mind was thinking ahead and planning when I would be able to drink. I finally realized that this was not normal drinker behavior and that I was an alcoholic. It still took me a little bit to actually find long term sobriety after that realization but it was the key that opened the door to recovery for me.