View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Snood

Now this is interesting. My wife began buying her own booze, of her own accord, about three years ago. I didn't make her do this, I didn't ask her to either, it just happened.

My take on this was that it happened for one of two reasons. Either, in her sober state, she could appreciate that my paying for abuse was out of order...

or...

In buying her own plonk, she would be able to bar me from making any comment about it.

It's probably a combination of the two.

As regards what the counsellor said, I've heard of such a suggestion before. It's a 'paradoxical intervention'
(see Paradox psychology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

It's been around as a therapeutic technique for nearly 100 years.

The idea is to induce the person to question their own behaviour and start to realise they have control over it.

I'm thinking I'll get her a bottle of posh plonk for Christmas, making clear that it's for her alone. I believe it's worth a try, as a one-off exercise.

Just to put this into perspective, she's taking money out of her daughter's account. She does a lot of caring for the (sick) daughter but then again, daughter never contributes, for house cleaning, lifts, phone support, etc.

Suffice it to say that as per now, my wife is drinking £5.00 worth of booze ($8.14) every day. Our financial situation isn't great...do the math