View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 08:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Being patient is the way to go. Noticeable change doesn't happen overnight. It may not even happen in 35 days. But what you have going for you is momentum. Ride it.

My sponsor never comes to the meetings I go to. We only go to one meeting in common, an 8am Saturday morning meeting. And he never calls me first. I have to call him. Most of the time, he doesn't pick up. If I'm just checking in and doing ok, I'll leave a quick message and I probably won't hear from him. But if I'm struggling, he calls me back in minutes. it's your job do be doing most of the leg work here with regard to communication.

If things really aren't clicking between you two, just get another sponsor. If you want one that goes to all the meetings you do, then go for it. But no matter what you choose to do, start the step work. That's where the real change happens.

On the subject of peers, how much effort did you put in to getting to know everyone else at the get together? How much effort do you put into asking how others are doing? Do you call people to check in? Do you send them any texts to see how their day is going? Again, effort is required on your part. Probably not what you want to hear right now, but it's the truth.

I promise you that if you stick with putting in the work to get to know these people, you will begin to cultivate relationships that will result in closeness. Not superficial closeness that sex may bring, but an actual emotional and spiritual closeness that is amazing. I have the closest friends I've heard had in my life. Better than the people I grew up with. Better than college. These people KNOW me because I allow them to know me by not being afraid to share how I'm feeling. And I also make an effort to get to know them just as deeply. My friends may have been damaged, as I was, but we are recovered now. If you met me in person now, you would never guess I almost died from alcohol back in March. I am not the same person I was when I was drinking. And if you stay sober and put in the work, you will become a new and better person too.

You know what the best part is? After a little while, it stops feeling like work. Everything just feels natural and routine. Again, this is coming from someone who literally had not a single friend 9 months ago. Not one.

And yeah. I miss sex too. But that's ok. Things will fall into place with the right woman when the time is right. I have faith in my HP that things will work out. But I needed to get on solid spiritual ground by working the steps to become comfortable with that idea.

You think too much. You're just like me. Keep it simple, buddy.