View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Doberfiend

Just Told My BF/BFF We Need To Be Apart

Trying not to have a nervous breakdown, because I don't have many friends and I've never had a connection to someone like this. We've been trying to make a relationship work for years, with difficulty due to his anxiety disorders/phobias and distance. He was clean for three years and has relapsed three times in the last year. This current relapse has been going on for almost two months. I know he has the desire to get treatment for both psych and drug issues, but isn't doing what he needs to do, and has been sabotaging himself and dragging his feet for years on getting the proper care and finding professionals that want to do more than write another prescription. I've tried to help by encouraging, not lecturing, holding accountable for excuses, finding treatment centers and professionals that will take his insurance, listening . . . and it's not going anywhere. This is killing me, but I think our situation, stalled as it was, was too comfortable for him and I'm holding him back by just being around. I hope to hell this was the right choice, but for someone like me who I think was in a codependent situation (from what I've read it seems to fit), it was the only thing to do. I told him I hoped it would help him decide what he wanted. This was the right thing to do - right? Right?? I can't imagine not being able to talk to him at the drop of a hat. I'm afraid I'm going to break down and contact him. ohgodohgodohgod