Thread: Bit taken aback
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KateL
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Tetra View Post
As some of you know, I am on holiday at the moment and really enjoying it. I find I am becoming more sociable since I stopped drinking. I make some small talk with people at the buffet table - "the chicken is not good", "the fish is excellent" etc This sounds small but it is a big deal for me as I am quite shy. I have met some interesting people. Yesterday I met a nice couple from Finland and last night I was chatting to a man who told me about his student days when he got deported from the US for transporting draft dodgers across the border to Canada during the Vietnam war. Some people have very colourful lives.

Anyway, I never tell anyone about my private life except for very close friends and family. Anyway tonight we were in the restaurant and the couple at the next table invited us to join them for a drink. The three others ordered a bottle of wine and I asked for a sprite. I noticed the guy looking at me and I knew what was coming but I was still shocked as I have genuinely never been asked it before. He looked at me across the table and said "an Irish person who doesn't drink - why is that?" I was flabbergasted at the question itself and the tone. My mind went blank and all I could think to say was "I just don't like the taste of alcohol". Then my friend said "that's a good reason not to drink anyway" and she started telling them about our trip to the market today.

So I just wanted to get my irritation off my chest. Also what do you guys say to people who ask why you don't drink? Have a nice evening and thanks for reading x
I usually say I'm driving which I generally am, but if I'm on holiday or something, I would probably say I don't drink and that's it. No one seems to push it after that. Bloomin cheek with the stereotyping though. You should have sprung from the table and done a Michael Flatley impersonation