Old 12-11-2013, 12:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

Whatever it takes! Beyond that sober date look at the rest of your life. Do you enjoy knowing where you are when you wake up? Isn't it great not to be hungover? Aren't you happy when you look at your phone and know every call you made the last 24 hours? Aren't you relieved not to have any mystery texts sent from your phone? Isn't it great to see your car in the driveway and remember parking it there?

I'm not sure what recovery plan you have or how you quit, but for me AVRT was the ticket. Do a search for it if you can. AVRT teaches you to recognize the desire to drink as "Beast" activity or "The Addictive Voice." It's not the you part of you, it's the animal part that's dedicated only to pleasure and instant gratification. Once I learned to recognize that part as distinct from the higher cognitive part of my mind it was pretty easy to smack it down.

The key is to make your Big Plan. That is when you decide once and for all that you will never drink again and never change your mind. No half measures, booze is now and forever off the table. Just not an option, it no longer exists for you. Doing that really "flips a switch" in your brain, or at least it did for me. I went from 3 bottles of wine per day, 7 days a week 365 days a year to not drinking a drop. And there were virtually no cravings (and believe me, there were before the BP!). It's been 13 months now for me without a drink.

You have done great! And you are doing great. It's okay to worry and it's human to be weak sometimes, just believe in yourself and your reasons for quitting. You can do it!