Thread: 100 Days!!
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Flying4Life

100 Days!!

I just reached 100 days which is the longest stretch of sobriety I have ever had since I began drinking over 5 years ago. I consider myself a high-bottom drunk because I have so much yet to lose if I continue on drinking. Drinking damaged my health, relationships, and self-respect. Thankfully, I am regaining what I had once lost a little bit each sober day. Just because I hadn’t sunk to the deepest depths of my addiction does not mean that I don’t need and deserve to be on the path to recovery. Just given time, my compulsion to drink could’ve stolen everything that matters to me.

Sobriety has empowered me to take care of myself in ways I never dreamed that I deserved when drinking. Addiction is scary and threatens to consume me every day.

What has worked for me so far:

[
  • Reading SR forums every day and posting most days, especially when I am struggling
  • Stocking the fridge and pantry with delicious non-alcoholic beverages such as herbal teas, hot chocolate, diet sodas, and sparkling fruit juices
  • Reminding myself every day of the reasons why I am choosing sobriety
  • Using AA slogan such as Easy Does It, First Things First, But For the Grace of God Go I, and One Day At A Time
  • Making my sobriety a priority even when it means making alternative plans or disappointing someone else
  • Chocolate, I keep a stash on hand and usually enjoy some everyday
  • Exercise, it releases endorphins, takes up time I used to spend drinking, releases stress, and gives me something else to focus on until the cravings pass
  • Naps, sometimes when things get tough and I am feel tired, cranky, or exhausted I give in to my urge to cuddle up in my pillows and blankets for an hour or two
  • Watching cartoons or movies, these provide a distraction and it is nice to remember them afterwards. I’ve started going to the late showing of movies on Friday or Saturday nights because it is something to do besides getting drunk.
  • Non-alcoholic rewards, after a long day or doing something particularly unpleasant I like to reward myself with new PJs, underwear, socks, scented candles, bubblebaths, music, books, dishtowels, facial masks, nail polish, DVDs, or whatever feels like a good treat to me that day. I plan my rewards and I look forward to them, they indulge me and keep me from feeling deprived.
  • Telling people about my choice not to drink. I spend time with people who are drinking all the time. They know I don’t drink anymore and they respect that.
  • Journaling about why I chose and continue to choose a sober lifestyle.
  • At the 2 month milestone I purchased a medallion with my sobriety date engraved on it to remind me of how far I have come.
I hope some of these tips might help someone else. I am so grateful to be sober today and I hope that I will have the opportunity to celebrate a sober holiday season with everyone here at SR!