Old 12-10-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Venecia

Hi, Ange and others -- Yes, this has been an issue for me, though I'm inclined to think it is less about appetite, per se, than it is about rebuilding healthy habits as the bad ones recede further into the past. (I'm just shy of four months sober.)

In the bad old days (well, years), what constituted a meal, particularly at night, was pretty pathetic for me. A cheese stick, for example. Sometimes nothing. Or, on the occasional flip side, most of a frozen pizza. To make matters worse, cooking is a bit of a trigger for me -- there was always plenty of wine in the kitchen when I was doing the Martha Stewart thing. Unfortunately, I was getting more than enough calories from alcohol and now find I've got some weight to lose ... 30 pounds for sure. Ugh. But it's coming off, slowly, due to healthier eating and exercise. (I was reunited with a pair of jeans that hadn't fit for a looonnggg time a couple weeks back -- yay!)

The "light bulb" moment for me was when I put two and two together as it related to sleep. I was going to bed hungry, minus the alcohol that previously allowed me sleep (poor as it was). I'm still retraining my brain to eat healthy at night, but it's coming around. Usually, a sandwich or WW frozen dinner, plus yogurt and fruit. And, wouldn't you know, sleep is slowly getting better.

One last thing: don't forget to start the day with a healthy breakfast. A bowl of oatmeal and some grapefruit juice is mandatory for me.

Take care! We're in this together.