View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 12:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Quish16

Justwantnormal. I agree with everyone -it is progressive. In 22 years, mine too went from adoring me to threatening my life, and wanting to look into my eyes as I died! Yes, prolonged alcohol abuse causes atrophy and some forms of dementia. I would have to say mine too was drinking three quarter a litre of vodka a few weeks ago. It can also cause falls which increase the risk of hematoma and make re occurrence more likely - thins the blood and of course, liver ,heart and kidney problems.
If you can't easily talk to your husband about your worries, then yes, you are being intimidated.
Also remember as one gets older, one is more likely to have other health conditions such as high blood pressure et al, and the alcohol will react with those.
although my AH has cut down, I am in pieces wondering if the hematoma will re occur with all he personality changes that brought, plus worrying about how the alcohol even at reduced levels will affect the medication.
Mine was high functioning for many many years! And, I guess I was in denial although in fairness, there was no internet and less media awareness in the nineties.
If he doesn't get help, sadly it will get worse.
Good luck.