Thread: Trouble?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by PaulOwen View Post
Am I entirely powerless over drugs/alcohol though? I don't think so. Is this a reason for me to go back out there? NO! Will this inevitably mean that I'm doomed to go out there regardless, eventually? I hope not, but I'm sick of feeling like this is the case because people in AA tells me it's so.

As far as a belief in a higher power... The other night I had this idea that my "God" would be simply that pull towards what I consider the right thing in the midst of internal conflict. It's not necessarily a higher power, but instead the best of my morality. It's still my will, my free will, that ultimately ends up making the decision. I absolutely refuse to believe that just because I ask for a sign from God and then my tire blows out on the road that that's an answer. As far as I'm concerned, it's the most egotistical thing for a person to believe that just because they're an alcoholic and give up their "will" to god that whatever that is just starts answering calls like a messaging service. Sorry if this conception offends anyone, it's just how I feel.
I don't agree with these tenets of AA either, Paul, and I felt then and still do now as you do. I examined them and then quit drinking anyway. I do think however that we each need our own plan of some kind, whether we follow steps or find something else that makes sense to us. What is your plan going to be?