View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Justwantnormal

Does it ALWAYS get worse?

I've heard over and over again that this is a progressive disease that will get worse over time. Is it possible that this IS the worst it will get though? AH has never come even close to being physically abusive, but I do see now that he can be emotionally abusive when he's drinking. He drinks every night, but the amount can be anything from 3 glasses of wine to 3/4L of vodka. He keeps telling me he'll cut down (never that he'll stop altogether), but that never happens. I sometimes worry that my not speaking up is the only reason he hasn't really taken quitting seriously. I'm so incredibly gun-shy when it comes to bringing it up. I know that's part of the manipulation on his part, but how do I overcome that?! I'll have everything I want to say on repeat in my head from 7am - 7pm, but as soon as the kids are in bed and we're alone it's like I freeze and don't say anything. And round and round we go. I'm so desperate to believe that eventually he'll just wake up to the fact that he needs to quit AND WILL! ...and that this will happen before he gets worse. Am I the one that's lost my mind?