Old 12-08-2013, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bemyself

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
Thanks so much for posting this. I also struggle with depression, and developing happiness can be a struggle. I know I'll never be a ray of sunshine all the time, but I think taking care of ourselves and learning to treat ourselves with kindness is key, no matter what our ideas of happiness may be. There are so many factors that go into it. Helping others contributes to our sense of self-worth and place in the world. Doing what we love. When I watch my dogs trotting away without a care in the world when we're walking along, I feel truly happy. Capturing these moments and consciously feeling and enjoying them for what they are has transformed my way of thinking.
Yes, THIS ^

Only the other day, I was reminded of a relatively new book out by Rick Hanson, Hardwiring Happiness: the New Science of Contentment, Calm and Confidence. I'd heard him interviewed about the book recently on our public radio the ABC.

And it was very timely that I checked out his website to find one of his most recent blog posts: 'Enjoy Sobriety'.

This stuff, as others have described here, is a good way for us depressives in particular to gently, moment by moment in often tiny ways, help our brains slowly move away from the perils of 'stinkin' thinkin' which can be the not-so-royal road back to a drink or fifty...

Great thread!