View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
fearNloathing

There are HUGE cultural & social difference to how they handle drug and alcohol use in The Netherlands. They give them the option of getting government assistance in quitting or are allowed to continue their addiction without the fear of being ostracized and thrown in prison like we do here in the states.
I’m not shocked they are giving people beer, in most of Europe they drink beer like we drink sodas here in the states, and it’s a part of their daily meal. To be honest in moderation beer is way better for you than a soda, and less than 150 years ago beer was safer to drink than water.
I’m not advocating that’s a reason to drink, but you have to be objective in reading this and realize that not all countries handle addiction they way we do here in the States, and from what I read it seems to be giving those people a sense of hope and a reason to get up out of bed and be a productive member of their society. I see nothing wrong with that, and considering The Netherlands has one of the lowest crime rates in the world they are doing something that we are not here in the good ol’ USA.

Netherlands Closing 19 Prisons Due to Lack of Criminals | Johnson County Justice Center