View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 11:08 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
ahcb

Dax,

First I think your premise of them being "emotionally sick people" is incorrect. Some? yes I am sure some are, but all? No. My only point is that to say that AA is a breeding ground of infidelity or those that belong are more prone to cheat is, in my mind incorrect. Many A's in recovery are aware, for the first time the pain they have caused for themselves and family and would not compound it with cheating.

Is that all would not? No, of course there are some who do. It is not the majority. Also to say I paint AA or alanon with a rosey brush is off the mark. It is like saying I paint a cancer ward that way. Those institutions may be alot of things but rosey is not one of them. If my wife decides, or I decide to have an affair It would be easy to say itwas AA or the booze, who would argue? But it does not mean it is true.

My message is that your description of the programs can actually help people decide to stay away from the programs they desperatley need by making them think the worst. Folks if your spouse,or bf,or gf has a problem and needs to go, ENCOURAGE them. Worry about what might happen when it actually happens. An affair in the future (for them or you) is a possibility, living now with a drunk is REALITY. Which do you want to worry about first.....