Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Precious1

Disease or not

I don't feel alcoholism is a disease. My beliefs are it is a chemical reaction in the brain, set off by the choice to take the first drink. People who have addictive personalities are prone to stronger brain reactions and become addicted easily. It doesn't just show up there on its own, no more than heroine.

Diabetes is a failing organ of the body. It got diseased through many processes, some of which can be diet, some are inherited, some are just bad luck. I think some alcoholics LOVE their booze and some don't. And it is the ones who don't love it or fall out of love that decide to make the choice that they will not drink ever again. I honestly think once you see it for what it is, a nasty killer of life, it loses its hold over you. But you have to make the choice that you cannot drink ever again because you cannot control it once you start. Can a diabetic chose their organ to work properly and stop taking their medicine? I think not. Not a good comparison to me. But that is just my two cents and not very popular with AA, I know.