View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
TigersFoundMe

Funny, I was writing a response to bird13 along the same lines when your response popped up!

In addition to the NIAAA guidelines being gross generalizations, every person is different. Some people smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and live a long and healthy life, while others aren't so lucky. People oftentimes take "science" as Truth (with a capital "T"!), but I think it's important to be critical of ideas that are presented as Truth.

A little bit about me...I love Donna Haraway, and believe that all knowledge is situated within a specific place and time. At one point, everyone knew that the earth was the center of the universe... that was Truth to them. Everyone has their own truth and it changes over time.

And you're right, even one drink is too many for someone struggling with addiction.

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Yep. The scientific basis of this is generalizations based on mortality studies. Most countries just copy the others. Has nothing to do with the overall spectrum of life problems caused by excessive drinking. It's not really science, either, as there is no way all those people drank those very specific units consistently for X years of their lives.

He's still at double that or doesn't measure though, I imagine. Keep reading here, the only 'safe' amount of alcohol for a person with this affliction is zero.