View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 09:10 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
TigersFoundMe

Originally Posted by Dawnerzw View Post
Unfortunately, cutting back isn't going to make it go away. Eventually he will be right back to drinking what he did before. It's frustrating as heck to deal with. He must be having second thoughts though about his own drinking to have come to you and asked you your opinion. Although he laughed at you, hopefully soon he will agree before it spirals out of control and seeks help. What you need to figure out is that if you are prepared and willing to go through this struggle with him? There will be fights, hateful words, hurt feelings, oh the list goes on. You need to make sure whatever your decision is, that you do whats best for YOU. Realize that you and your feelings and well being DO matter.

And I second the Al Anon meetings if this is something you want to fight for!!
Thank you to Dawnerzw and others who have given similar advice. I'm starting to realize that I put great amounts of energy and time into making sure he's happy and taken care of, but I'm not spending any time taking care of myself. This thread has opened my eyes to the ways that I'm ignoring my own needs and I'm very excited to change that soon.

I also appreciate the advice that conflicts with this, the responses that tell me to end the relationship and save myself the heartache. As Mike poetically stated, "You are standing at the gates of hell and you have the choice to either go in or turn around. As someone who spent many years married to an alcoholic you really want to turn around. Hell is a lot easier to get into than it is to get out of." I can say with certainty that, at this exact moment in space and time, this relationship is right for me. As I learn more about his disease it will help me make an informed decision about the future of our relationship. That being said, I know enough to know that I don't know everything, and I am not blind to the possibility of this relationship being unhealthy for me. I sincerely appreciate your stories and experiences, thank you for sharing them with me.

I feel very lucky to have joined this forum. Thank you all for sharing your personal knowledge and understanding of addiction to help me navigate my own struggles with it.