View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
siamamerican

Originally Posted by foolsgold66 View Post
Yours is a less common experience, yet not unheard of. My FIL was the same way. This doesn't get much attention from recovery folks for a couple of reasons, IMHO:

FG
Thanks everyone! FG, well written post and I agree with all you stated. I hope I didn't come off as a jerk. Addiction is extremely challenging and was just curious if my experience is common.

Honestly not sure why it has been so easy but most likely it was a timing issue. I put myself in a bad place because of some choices I made that were non-alcohol related. The list of bad choices is endless: Affairs, self medicating through running injuries, and what I'm most ashamed of - I was mean to people that were simply being themselves.

I always knew nobody was perfect but it doesn't justify not doing the right thing. Slowly I started becoming a better person and my life turned around. I no longer was the victim but the cause of my current position in life.

It's hard to make decisions when addiction is controlling your actions to varying extents but I think this is how quitting was so easy. I simply was in a pretty good place and well grounded when I decided to quit.