View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Loopydays

I've been going to Al Anon about 18 months now- up to 3 meetings a week. I am not religious, wasn't even spiritual when I came in- I kept going because I needed something to help me- and it did. I still can't explain it- I think it the beginning it was because I was with people who got me, got the situation, it felt safe.

Then I started feeling uncomfortable with the " religious" bit, I live in a catholic country, and as hard as some tried to say it was not religious, but spiritual, it just didn't wash with me. It took a few months of struggling with it all to realise that I did not need to have a similar HP as the others, I did not need to fit into the slots. Like Aeryn said, I found me, and found the belief that what I felt to be my truth and inner strength was part of my Higher Power. I am a very visual person, and imagining a paternal figure on a cloud didn't help. It was reading SR that helped me, I learnt what people from around the world with different cultures thought- and now my image of my Higher Power changes , at times I simply see a bottle of HP sauce sitting on a window sill. weird but it works for me.

Al Anon really started working for me, when I put the focus in me- and not on what other members thought of me. Sounded simple, but my poor sponsor has spent many hours unravelling my mind with me. All I can say is the however much I fought being on the programme, I am so grateful I stuck with it....
As they say, Take what you like, and leave the rest.