View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
siamamerican

Why Has it been easy to quit?

Been an alcoholic for 25 years. Most of the time it was under control and, being a loner, nobody really knew the extent of my problem. Never tried to quit or even considered it prior to 3 months ago.

Both my parents are alcoholics but extremely functional professionally and socially. Drinking seemed natural and not a concern up until 3 months ago. I woke up, don't know the exact day, and it was clear how my life would be different without getting drunk 3-5 nights a week. Drinking would no longer dominate my thoughts during the day and managing my time around my drunk hours would no longer be an issue.

Read lots the first few days about others experiences and was fearful I would start drinking again. The stories of how difficult addiction is and the relapses are all too common. About a week went by and I realized the desire to drink was completely gone and replaced with a repulsion. Oddly enough, not a beer drinker, beer was the only type of alcohol that had any appeal.

My life isn't much different. I have more control of my time and think the relationship with my wife has improved. We had no major issues before quitting. I'm happier and am more aware of how my actions impact others. Basically, I'm the same person with some minor improvements.

Thought quitting would be a monumental task and it hasn't been. The clarity in my daily life now is why I won't ever drink again. I now know when I'm the fool -