View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 07:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
trixie56

Originally Posted by TigersFoundMe View Post
I'm new to this forum and in the very beginning stages of learning about my boyfriend's alcohol addiction.

Last night, he came home late, so drunk that he could barely stand. So drunk he could hardly keep his eyes open. Let me repeat, I'm in the beginning stages of learning about his disease, so I'm not sure if I handled this in the best way...

He sat on the edge of the bed and asked me if I thought he drinks too much. I was honest. I told him that he can't stop drinking, even when he decides to have a sober day. I told him that I worry about his health, that I worry he'll die early because he drinks so much. I told him that he's alcohol dependent, he has withdrawal symptoms if he postpones his drinking. I told him that I think he needs professional help kicking this addiction.

He laughed and said that I was wrong, that he could cut back on his drinking. He said that he didn't know that I had a problem with his drinking (not true, btw) but now that he knows, he'll only drink 5 drinks a night, 4 nights a week. He currently drinks at least 6 drinks every single night.
I agree with the others here, who say you should leave. I also got involved with someone who had a drinking problem established way before I ever knew him. I knew nothing of the disease and believed him when he said "I'm not gonna do that anymore. I've changed." Along the way, he had all kinds of excuses to justify his behavior, like "This is better than I used to be!" as if that justified any of it. If you stay with this guy, you will just end up with a broken heart and broken promises, and you'll inevitable beat yourself up wondering why he isn't being true to his word, why he doesn't care enough about you to just stop. It really has nothing to do with you, nothing you can say or do will change his draw to alcohol. It's sad and painful….But really, just walk away.