View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 04:02 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
honeypig

Tigers, do spend as much time as you can reading on this forum. As others mentioned, don't miss the stickies at the top of this page. You need to educate yourself about what alcoholism is and what alcoholics do., and this is one of the best places I know of to do that. This will help you a lot in making decisions abot your future.

I'd also strongly agree w/those who mentioned Alanon, but I would not limit my recommendation of Alanon to "if you want to stay in this relationship." Alanon is another great source of education and support, and you will need both as you find your way forward, whether you ultimately stay w/the A or leave. The sooner you can get to a meeting, the better. There are a lot of threads here about people's experiences in Alanon; search the forum if you want to know more.

The one other thing I'd like to mention is that many (all?) of us come here, start reading, and think "oh, things are really bad for these people, but me and my A, we are SPECIAL! MY A would NEVER do what these other ones did...I'd NEVER "give up" on my A like SHE did...I REALLY LOVE my A, and that will make all the difference!" Sadly, we all come to learn that we are no different than anyone else in any situation here. To repeat a phrase I hear here often, if love was all it took, this site wouldn't exist. If we could love our A's into sobriety, if we could love them into being the people we wanted them to be (b/c simply removing alcohol from the equation doesn't solve the problem), then there would be no need for Alanon or SR. The fact that both SR and Alanon are thriving is proof that love simply isn't enough.

Again, as others have said, your A has not shown any signs of wanting to quit. The only person you have any influence over is yourself--take care of YOU. Educate yourself and find support from those who understand. Wishing you clarity to see where your path lies and strength to follow it.