View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

Originally Posted by DesertEyes View Post
No worries, there's a _lot_ of stickies. It can take days to go through them all.

I was born into a very Catholic family. On the outside. On the inside there was child abuse, alcoholism, spousal abuse, incest, and on and on. I spent some time in a religious orphanage, then some religious schools. When I got to the 12 steps and their version of a "Higher Power" I had _major_ obstacles.

Nothing to do with people of faith, or with people of the steps. I just had some deep misunderstandings about all of the above.

What helped me deal with the whole "HP" stuff was a few things my sponsor pointed out.

The program of recovery is _just_ the 12 steps. Nothing else. _All_ of the literature is just commentary, examples of how a variety of people interpret the steps. The only thing I have to do in order to benefit from the steps is use them as they are relevant to my specific needs. Basically, I get to write my own commentary as I go along.

The steps were written as a record of experience. The specific wording is what those people found helpful to them. They left out what was _not_ helpful.

Why, then, did all these alanoids find a need for a HP? And a "generic HP" at that. The steps were written in a part of the country that still is deeply Christian, and at a time in history where religion was integral to their life. The most natural thing would have been for them to include a theist religion, yet they did not.

I got tangled up in all that for awhile, then my sponsor broke through my mis-conceptions. The only thing that I need to understand about the HP thing is that _I_ am _not_ the HP.

When I read the steps one at a time, and I grab a dictionary and piece together each word one at a time, I realize that they are taking about a "power" that is _not_ "ourselves".

Seeing how I spent my entire life trying to manage the world into fitting my expectations, and _never_ asking for help, the "light bulb" went off. My "alanoid-ism" is based on me trying to be some kind of super-person. To be over-dependable, over-protective, over-involved, super-efficient, fixing _everybody's_ problems, etc. etc.

If I can control _everything_ about the world around me then I will never be hurt, I will perfectly safe.

To me that sounds like I was trying to become my own "Higher Power". No wonder my life was a mess. I must have had a huge ego and never even knew it.

Today I go to the doc for medical problems, the mechanic to fix my car, the shrink to help with relationships, etc. etc. I no longer try to fix the whole world all by myself. All I can really fix is my own _actions_, nothing else.

My version of a HP has _nothing_ to do with religion, or magic, or any of that "stuff". There's plenty of religious versions of God already, no need for me to make up a new one. My version of a HP is just to _stop_ my mind from racing off into those old thoughts, stop myself from going back into that "emotional hiding" where I get so busy taking care of everybody else that I never take care of me, stop trying to be the whole worlds HP.

I see the _remainder_ of the steps as my HP. Doing what the rest of the steps suggest has made a fantastic difference in my life, something that I failed to do when I was my own HP. What works for me is to define my HP as the steps themselves, because they _are_ wisdom that is beyond my ability to create on my own.

Mike
Great post that I will also save.

My FOO was very anti-religion and abusive and I was a mirror image of your description of trying to be my own HP that was hyper-controlling of others to "fix everything". I really appreciated your post as it was a laser pointer to some of my issues that I continue to work on.

I find it interesting that many of us come from very different belief systems as children in families that were highly dysfunctional yet many of us find a lot of help and support in alanon while coming to very different conclusions in our own spiritual beliefs.

The freedom to choose what to believe personally about our own HP and how to apply alanon principles to our lives is a matter for each of us to decide. What we all hear time after time is that even if the HP of choice is the meeting, the steps, Allah, Jesus or a mystical or philosophical belief system taking the time to go to meetings and work towards helping OURSELVES is the first giant step in recovery.

Recovery takes time and that is what most of us don't have a lot of. Going to meetings, reading books, scheduling counseling are all deliberate acts of recovery. Alanon was a huge part of my puzzle of recovery and this thread had all kinds of posters with different backgrounds and religious beliefs and they all got something great out of alanon....

You have to eat the hay and spit out the straw or take what you want and leave the rest... you sort out what YOU believe and apply it to your life.