Thread: I'm Back!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

I'm glad you came back too.

I cannot agree more with Threshold and Carlotta. My soon-to-be-ex husband is an alcoholic, as am I. I was the one who wanted to get sober, even though he said he also wanted to. I went to rehab, outpatient treatment, AA, while he stayed home and continued drinking. We had been "drinking buddies" for a very long time, and the dynamics of our relationship changed considerably once I got sober. I would get sober and then relapse over and over again, while he kept drinking. It finally sunk in that I was never going to stay sober as long as I was with him and he was still drinking. There were certainly other factors that contributed to the breakup of our 20 year marriage, but the drinking was a significant one, and it came down to either staying sober without him or staying drunk with him. Although it was the most difficult choice I've ever made in my life, I chose sobriety without him.

My point is only to say that the only person's sobriety you have control over is yours. At some point, you may have to decide if this is someone you really need to be with if he continues to drink. I hope it doesn't come to that, but please keep that possibility in the back of your mind as you work toward your own sobriety. He may never change, and if he doesn't, you have a tough choice to make. I'm not suggesting you haven't already thought of that ... but I am suggesting that you make your sobriety your number one priority regardless of what he does. Your life depends on it.

Welcome back and I wish you all the best on this exciting journey to a new life.