View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Jarp,
I felt completely out of place with this problem in both AA and Alanon, and I am not an atheist. I am very anti religion, not necessarily the people in religion, except when they act smug and/or superior. Lots of it is political anyway be that the school board or city council member that goes to church for show and has no faith at all, or the top sales guy at the local car dealer. Secular does not mean atheist. Read Richard Dawkins' book "The God Delusion" if you have a mind too. (pun int.) I am not digressing but had to say that to makes this point. What if I decided my HP was the Rastafarian deity Jah they worship along with Haile Selassie I, Emperor of Ethiopia. And wanted all references and prayers to the other Gods removed. Boy that would make for a reversal. But you will never make headway if you are bumping heads all the time. Secular does not mean atheist, no matter how many folks ignore history and claim we were founded as a Christian country, when at best the founding fathers were Pantheists. The whole idea was separation of church and state. But the indoctrinated think they are helping us. So I just held hands and said their Lord's prayer, despite feeling like an idiot hypocrite. But enlightening them, or getting respect from them for believing differently is not happening, not my job, and none of my biz. Perhaps there are some group counseling with doctoral and MS psychologists you could go to?