View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jarp

Alanon for the very non religious?

This might be in one of the stickies....so apologies if I haven't looked hard enough. Also I sincerely apologise in advance if this post offends. It is not meant to, and I'll preface this by saying that I have the upmost respect for all people to practise whatever religion or spiritualism that resonates with them.

I am very strongly not religious (long story, but a very bad experience has left me very anxious about religious organisations, so much so that I used to get close to panic if I was in a situation that required worship/ prayer to a God).

I realise that one of the steps of alanon is that I need to accept my higher power. I think I know that this doesn't need to be from a Christian position, or even necessarily the hp need to be a God - am I right?

I guess my question is.....for others who are atheist.....how do you/ did you deal with the need to accept a higher power? Could anyone share what that was...and how you did that genuinely and honestly, being true to yourself, if you didn't believe.

It's the thing that is holding me back from embracing alanon and I'd appreciate anyone sharing their own thoughts if they come from a similar position.