Thread: Thursday quit
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
miyako

Unless you experience severe withdrawal symptoms, it is possible to go cold turkey from booze while doing your daily stuff -- work, etc. It all depends what feelings you experience and how much you can handle. I did do it.

I was amazed at how many withdrawal symptoms I did have and (worse) how long they lasted. The hardest for me was what is called "brain fog." I'd go into some kind of idiot mode and could hardly talk at times, let alone think or remember. I'd make stupid errors. It was especially bad because this was during a time when I was on a brand new job and supposed to be learning. And learning was really really hard. I did somehow make it through that time and nothing bad happened. I just had to take it one day at a time and work through the withdrawal feelings as they came up. No one there knew I was detoxing.

Whether to check into a substance abuse facility or go it alone is an individual decision you have to make based on what you think you can handle and what kinds of physical symptoms you may experience.

Going into a detox program can be COSTLY. If you decide to go this route then make sure that you fully understand what your insurance plan will cover and what your costs will be. Don't just impulsively do it or let a well meaning doctor direct you to his/her favorite facility without making sure you know the costs you are getting in for. I already know how much they cost and I didn't want to pay that price. In my opinion, that is one of the worst punishments that addicts inflict on themselves -- the financial cost of getting straight.

On the other hand if your withdrawal symptoms are severe, it may be the best choice you could make to go into supervised medical care. Just, like I said, check out the costs so you don't get a rude shock on your discharge. The bills I have seen could send the strongest and most resilient person back to booze in a heartbeat. Know what you are doing and what your options are and you will be fine.