Thread: Laugh Off
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
jaynie04

Originally Posted by Upsetnneedhelp View Post
But would this humor exist if your loved one had cancer? Making everything a joke is just another way to stay in denial.
I don't think it's denial, as someone in recovery I know that laughter is one way to get a natural release of good chemicals to my brain. Smiling boosts the immune system and releases endorphins, something addicts and alcoholics as well as friends and family can certainly use.

Most of us come here initially and feel a bond because of the pain we are experiencing. Because this disease is a lifelong problem most of us have accepted that it is something that we deal with for the rest of our lives we know we have a very very long road ahead of us. That's a pretty serious truth to swallow regardless of what side of the fence you are on. I don't here anyone here denying that truth, but I don't see why any of us should live in misery because this disease affects us. All of us are worthy of happiness, in any amount where ever we can find it. I think for some of us, being able to laugh about something that is so invasive and can be so dark, makes it feel less powerful, and can make us feel more powerful and less victimized.

Hammer, I often lurk in the shadows and read your posts. I have often laughed out loud at your posts. I sometimes read the pain between the lines, but I believe there is a lot of honesty that you share with all of us.

Upset, I think laughter is denying the disease the power to consign us crawl off to a corner and live miserably. The best way to knock addiction down is undermine it's attempts to rob us of all that which is precious to us, and I believe human connection is very high on that list.