Thread: New to forum
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
overit263

Originally Posted by BoxinRotz View Post
If you haven't chosen one yet, may I suggest a boxer! You will laugh your butt off with their fun loving free spirit! My home will never be without one... and, they love to cuddle!

Karen, Welcome. Sorry for the hijack... Your husband is dealing with a lifetime disease. He will always be an alcoholic, even in recovery. So even if he sobers up and becomes well, he can go back to it at anytime of HIS choosing. My alcoholic husband was sober for 20 years Dear Karen. He picked up and our world was SMASHED to pieces over it!

We have no children unless you count the Boxer and Rottweiler and let me tell you, even they have suffered emotionally over his alcoholism! I literally have to remove them from the home when he goes apeshit bananas! It's harder to do that with skin kids.

I hate to say it but... if you find he does not want recovery and you want children, your best bet may be finding a better suitor for your wants and needs when it comes to daddy material. That's a tough pill especially when you love them so much. Alcoholism is such a selfish disease not only to them but to the family as a whole and he's literally cheating you out of your dream of being a mommy. It's painful AND he's being heartless and so damn selfish IMO.
I think we all go through this weird phase of "will this situation change, isn't it supposed to change, isn't he supposed to want to be clean/sober" and the answer is we have no control over it. You need to decide what is important to you and DO NOT let your dreams/goals fall to the wayside because of someone else. Put your energy in to you and if he's there to support you, great, if he's not you have to move on. We all do such a good job of supporting others and we neglect ourselves.

I did adopt one a few months ago, he was found in a ditch by my friend's husband, they thought he was dead and he was growling and freaked out and had mange. I had to take him home when I saw him because we were both abandoned in some way! He's the best thing that ever happened to me. He's so loving and so happy to have a home, food and a bed! I don't know how things would have been if I hadn't adopted him when AXH left town. I was scared because I didn't know if dealers would be coming to my home etc. so I wanted protection. He's a lab, but we can't tell if he has some pit or some boxer in him-he's got a loud bark and that worked for me!