View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LadyBlue0527
Mini Novel Post Writer

Ahhhhhhhhhh, the ever present game of "Alcoholic Word Twister". I'm so glad that you didn't give in!

On long term attempt #2 this is what I heard at a SMART meeting:

"SMART recognizes that you are striving to work on having a good quality of life. What is a good quality of life? That's up to you. You're obviously here because there's something that's keeping you from that. The key is to increase the quality by being realistic. If your drug of choice is alcohol then you recognize the fact that it's hindering quality. However, if you quit drinking and are going to sit there being an angry and resentful person is that really going to increase the quality of life?"

We all know that the above is meant to say "It's not enough to quit drinking, you need to find something that's going to help you to realize that your quality of life is improving and that you're happy about it".

What I heard was:

"If you're going to be upset and angry every day about quitting then what's the point? You might as well drink because if you don't you've actually decreased the quality of your life".

YUP, that's what I heard. Long term attempt #2 out the window.

The games we play.

So important to remind yourself why you quit when you start that manner of thinking which is exactly what you did!